Book review: Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me by Ellen Forney


This is a graphic novel memoir I stumbled on by accident when looking through the graphic novel section of Waterstones. It starts at the point writer Ellen gets a diagnosis for bipolar. I really enjoyed this book as it was a really warm and personal account of her experience spanning 10 years. 

She explored the fear of medication affecting her creativity (a common fear) and looked at artistic people through history who had or believed to have bipolar. I found the parts about medication particularly interesting, she tried many different meds which had many different effects on her. Some good some bad, as she tried to find the right combination for her.

The book was filled with beautiful illustrations, some picturing her thoughts or fears. I found much of it highly relateable and loved the fact it was told in a friendly and honest manner. Right now I am at the beginning of her story, and reading this book was a big help and comfort, Ellen managed to explain everything in her head so well I felt like I was right there with her.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.