Book review: The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer...



The Shock of the Fall is about a young man named Matthew who throughout the book slowly tells his story about the death of his brother when he was a child. Matthew has schizophrenia and he also shares his honest experiences of his illness.

The book is a very touching and sometimes sad read. Despite the subject matter there are a lot of humorous moments as well, as Matthew tells stories from his childhood, and talks about his family. I also found the book to be a very warm, and moving read. There were some parts where I had a tear in my eye and I just wanted to give Matthew a hug- he was a very honest narrator, and it was clear a lot of thought had gone into the details of his life and illness.

Interestingly the author Nathan Filer is a registered mental health nurse, so I feel like the parts that were set in a psychiatric ward and the parts discussing the main characters healthcare were particularly authentic.

The book was hugely enjoyable from start to finish, and I really recommend this as a heart warming read. 

Find me on goodreads here!

3 comments:

  1. I love this book - glad you did too! I read it about this time last year, and now I really want to go back and reread. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't blame you- think it's definitely one I will come back to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. danniella josephine8 March 2015 at 19:57

    I've had this to read for over a year now, I think I will give it a try :)

    Dannie x

    www.famousinjapan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.