My music picks for International Woman's Day...


I originally planned to put a list together of new(ish) female singers/ bands that I love to celebrate International Woman's Day but then I didn't finish it in time...d'oh. Anyway I thought I would still post it as I love sharing my musical finds and recommending new artists and haven't really written any music posts here before.

Ex Hex


Ex Hex are a punk rock trio from Washington DC. They make fast, short and sweet songs, bursting with energy, snarling lyrics and catchy choruses. I love the track Don't Wanna Loose, which you can find here

Marina & the Diamonds


I must admit I'm an occasional pop fan, but I prefer pop with a bit more attitude and edge which is why I love Marina. She is a Welsh singer songwriter who merges pop with indie, new wave and electropop and often wearing her influences of the likes of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Brody Dalle, Garbage and Gwen Stefani on her sleeves. It's hard to pick just one track but Bubblegum Bitch is a great one.

Tei Shi


Tei Shi is an Argentinian singer songwriter based in Brooklyn who mixes indie and pop with R&B to create the most gorgeous multi layered songs. Her track Bassically floors me every time I listen to it, it's bloody beautiful! Listen to it here.

FKA Twigs


FKA Twigs is a British singer songwriter who mixes old school tip hop and 90s R&B with electronica. Her debut album LP1 is a perfect night time listen filled with beautiful slow jams perfect if you love Tricky. Listen to Two Weeks here

Honeyblood


Honeyblood are a scuzzy indie duo from Glasgow who mix lo-fi guitars with snarly girl group style vocals and relateable lyrics. If you are a fan of The Breeders, or early Hole then you should check them out. Listen to Choker here.  

Ibeyi


Ibeyi are a Parisian duo of twin sisters who merge their Afro Cuban roots with electro and soul to create beautiful and sometimes dark songs. Listen to their track Mama Says which is exquisitely haunting here

Wolf Alice


Wolf Alice are a Alt rock four piece from London fronted by the shrieking, snarling Ellie. Their music fuses rock with punk, grunge, and pop elements which I think fans of The Duke Spirit, Bikini Kill, Veruca Salt and Haim should definitely check out. Listen to She here

So there's my list! If you have any music recommendations l'd love to hear them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.