My favourite reads of this 2018.




The Non-fiction...

I went into My Thoughts Exactly by Lily Allen not knowing what to expect but ended up really enjoying this shockingly honest, warm and at times funny memoir. I loved Shrill by Lindy West, part memoir part manifesto on being an unapologetic fat woman. As a Louis Theroux fan I knew I would Enjoy The Call of the Weird, in which he takes a road trip across the US to reunite with some of the subjects of his documentaries. This was laugh out loud funny and I highly recommend the audiobook version which Louis reads himself accents and all.

The thrillers...

The Death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth Ware is probably my favourite thriller of 2018. It includes all the classic ingredients: a creepy old house, a remote setting and a cast of eccentric characters. The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor was an 80s thriller nod to Stranger Things and The Burning Air by Erin Kelly kept me on the edge of my seat until the end. Night Film by Marisha Pessl was an epic thriller-noir about a missing girl and a cult film director that sprinkled in 'found footage' elements to make a really memorable read.

The Sci-Fi...

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch best get made into a film because it would be amazing. Time travel, parallel universes and lots of twists, this was brilliant. Children of the New World by Alexander Weinstein is a collection of futuristic short stories in the vein of Black Mirror but rather than focusing on the perils of technology looks at the environment.

The rest...

Vivian Versus the Apocalypse by Katie Coyle is a YA that combines cults and the end of the world. I am looking forward to reading the sequel in 2019. Finally The Leavers by Lisa Ko follows the story of a Chinese immigrant and her son after she gets deported and he ends up getting adopted by an American family. This was a really beautiful read.  

That concludes my favourite reads of 2018, what were yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.