Book review: The Line by William LJ Galaini*...


The Line is a sci-fi adventure about a team of historians and engineers who on board Janus are able to travel back in time and observe historical events for research. The team start to find that there is someone or something also travelling back in time to key events too- but instead of observing is creating havoc. 

I must admit, I'm fairly new to the genre of science fiction and aside from Doctor Who novels haven't read a great deal of sci-fi books. Although The Line did have the occasional science jargon, and tech terms that went a little over my head it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story. One of the things I liked most about the book was finding out about the team of people on board Janus, and their interactions with each other, and although a little slow the first half of the book really introduced the team and their dynamic well.

I loved the description of Janus itself, particularly the part where Gustavo, it's designer explained that he'd modelled one of the rooms on his favourite movie theatre right down to the seats and flooring. I also enjoyed the many references to time travel themed films throughout the book (especially Twelve Monkeys- love that film!)

By about the half way point things got really interesting, and there was a twist that hit me that I did not see coming at all. After that the book was much pacier (and sometimes quite gory) and I raced through.

The book definitely threw up a lot of interesting ideas, and explored the question of what would humans really do if they were able to travel through time. 

My favourite character incidentally wasn't human but I will say no more as I don't want to spoil it! Overall I enjoyed The Line,  and would certainly recommend if you are into sci-fi or time travel.

Find me on Goodreads here.
To see my other book reviews go here.

*Many thanks to Ally and William for providing me with a copy of The Line for an honest review :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.