On My Shelf: 5 star predictions

Today I have raided my to-be-read shelves and picked out six books that I predict will be five star reads for me...


1. My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
I gave Grady Hendrix's previous book Horrorstor 5 stars and have a feeling I will love this book just as much. Hendrix is brilliant at writing over the top, fun horror, and this one is set in the 80s and about two best friends- one of them finds out the other has been possessed by a demon!  

2. The Power by Naomi Alderman
A dystopian novel in which teenage girls all of a sudden have the power to cause immense pain from their finger tips. Dystopian: tick, feminism: tick. This one really appeals to me and it also won the Bailey's Woman's Fiction prize.

3. Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
I bought this YA as soon as I heard about it. Firstly I love the cover but also it's about a girl fed up with her high school and it's sexist rules. Her Mum was a 90's riot grrrl, and so inspired she begins to create a feminist zine and starts a revolution. Doesn't this just sound brilliant?! 


4. The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
I've mentioned before how much I love Carrie Fisher, she was a bloody amazing woman. This is her diary written during the filming of the first Star Wars film, and if it's anything like her other other books this will be warm, funny and honest.

5. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
I can't really explain it but I feel like I will love Shirley Jackson despite having never actually read any of her books. I have accumulated quite a few of them now and feel like I really need to read them soon! This is a gothic horror set in a big house in a small village and sounds like the perfect October read.

6. Some Possible Solutions by Helen Phillips
This short story collection has been sat on my shelf for far too long. I was initially interested in this when I heard it described as Black Mirror-esque- strange, unsettling, futuristic stories including one where a persons city is filled with doppelgangers of them!


So those are the six books I predict will be five star reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.