May reading round up...



Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
Ani seems to have the perfect life but as a teenager endured a painful and humiliating experience that made her reinvent herself into a successful and glamorous writer with a rich fiancée. But will breaking her silence set her free- or destroy everything? This had a fair few twists in and was well written although often a little shallow. All the characters were horrible, and I felt like Ani was supposed to be redeemed because of her past but despite my sympathy I just couldn't root for her as an adult. Despite the dark, and harrowing subject matter I found the book lacked emotional depth making it hard to connect with the story. There a message in there about expectations put on women and how they should be fought against which I liked but it just felt kind of empty. 3/5

How To Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran
I'm not sure why it took me so long to get round this this... About an awkward 14 year old girl living in a council estate in Wolverhampton Johanna dreams of being music writer and decides to re-invent herself into the confident and cool Dolly Wild. I really enjoyed this book, it was full of Moran's humorous style as well as a lot of great points about the class system. The story was fun, honest, and positive as Johanna realised that being someone else wasn't much fun. I'd recommend picking this up after reading Moran's brilliant How To Be a Woman which has semi autobiographical moments that are sometimes mirrored in this. 4/5

Marvel Civil War by Mark Millar
This is one I've wanted to read for a while and decided I wanted to read it before Captain America: Civil War actually came out. I enjoyed it but I felt like the story was a bit patchy and rushed and would have been better had it been told over a longer more in depth book. The story and artwork were good though but this gets a lower mark for the portrayal of the only two prominent female characters (She-Hulk and one of her only talking parts involves a close up of her breasts and them in the next panel and huge close up arse shot -_-, whilst Sue Storms storyline alluded to her doing something that induced a major eye roll). 3/5

Scarlet Witch Vol.1 by James Robinson
(Read in single issues) I was so excited for this new series- I love Scarlet Witch! The first issue was really strong and the artwork was beautiful. Unfortunately after that each issue had a different artist and the art for me seemed to get worse and worse. Wanda and the other characters looked completely different each time and it just made it really difficult to concentrate and keep with the story to the point where I just stopped caring. If the artist from issue one would have drawn the whole run I'm sure the score would be completely different but sadly I gave this 2/5

Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
This is my favourite Batman story I've read so far! A mysterious mastermind is using Batman's enemies and allies to wreak havok. Firstly the story was very predictable- I guessed who Hush was straight away- but there were a lot of other twists I didn't expect and the story was so well written I didn't care. One of the things I loved the most was that Catwoman was a main character, the book explored Batman and Selina having a relationship and if it would work (Catwoman was very well written in this) and we also got to see so many familiar faces (I particularly enjoyed Huntress, Oracle, Poison Ivy, Nightwing and the Riddler). Jim Lee's artwork was beautiful and brought the whole story to life. Overall I loved it! 5/5

Patsy Walker A.K.A Hellcat! Vol.1 by Kate Leth & Brittney Williams 
(read in single issues) If you enjoyed the quirkiness and humour of The Unbeatable Squirrel you will love this new series from Marvel. Focusing on Patsy's attempts to find a job in New York, pay the rent, and date whilst trying to play down the romance comics her Mother wrote when she was a kid  this is a super fun and relateable story. Hellcat's long time friend She-Hulk is along for the ride as well as appearances from Ms Marvel, Thor, Squirrel Girl, and some new faces as well. Add to the list the lovely bright and bold artwork, the letters page mainly consisting of readers cat pictures and the Jessica Jones teaser in the last issue this is series you don't want to miss! 4/5

Find me on Goodreads here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.