Book review: No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July...

[I haven't written any book reviews before, but love reading and enjoy reading other bloggers reviews- so thought I'd give it a go!]


This is a collection of short stories I've had sitting on my book shelf for ages waiting to be read. As soon as I started the first story in this book that was it: I was sucked in to July's world. The stories are a collection of ordinary but extraordinary characters. Some are strange, some funny, but all have a gentle melancholy running through their veins.

I loved July's writing style. Almost poetical, and full of beauty. Sometimes pondering on the simplest things produced quotable and profound lines. My copy is full of post its, holding particular lines I loved, and the person who had this book before me felt the same as they have underlined and circled different parts in pencil throughout. All the characters quirks and innermost thoughts are what gave flesh to these simple stories. Quite frankly I am in love. Reading this book is like delving into these people's worlds and briefly living their lives.

"What a terrible mistake to let go of something wonderful for something real"

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this for ages - I love short stories :) Short Cuts by Raymond Carver was the last collection I read and I absolutely loved it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll have to look that one up. I really recommend this one, I love it :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.